Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Portrait of an Immigrant

Imagine this in diptych form...


Perlis Sailas, 21, Bowling Green, Ky., immigrated to the United States 17 months ago to work with his fellow Micronesians in Shogun of Japan on Scottsville Road. Back home in Phonpei, Micronesia, Sailas was a carpenter. Comparing the two jobs, he said, “This job is better, back home I cut the trees and everything myself, here I cook one time and make money.” Aside from a motorized scooter, Sailas hasn’t made any large purchases and sends most of his money home, he said, “I always send money, because I love my family, they no make big money.” Sailas left his parents and a son in Phonpei.

Chewing beetle nut (right) is a cultural tradition that Sailas and other Micronesians continue in the states. In preparation the beetle nut has tobacco and lime paste added to it, and is then wrapped in a tobacco leaf. It is rumored to make your teeth stronger, said Sailas.






1 comment: